Mold Allergy: Prevention

Table of contents:

Mold Allergy: Prevention
Mold Allergy: Prevention

Video: Mold Allergy: Prevention

Video: Mold Allergy: Prevention
Video: What is a mold allergy? 2023, December

Mold allergy: prevention

Molds and their spores are ubiquitous - contact and the development of an allergy cannot be completely avoided. Humans have good adaptability to mold and therefore only rarely react with symptoms of illness. Normally, fungal spores are immediately rendered harmless by phagocytes and killed by white blood cells. Whether there is a health hazard depends on the intensity, the type of mold and the sensitivity of the person.


  • Continue reading
  • more on the subject
  • Advice, downloads & tools
  • Minimize spore exposure
  • Mold toxins

Minimize spore exposure

However, the spore load can be reduced by a number of measures. These should be particularly observed by people with a known mold spore allergy. These measures include:

  • Ventilation: Living rooms, especially wet rooms, should be ventilated frequently. It is best to ventilate three to four times a day for five to ten minutes. To do this, open the windows completely, if possible two opposite - permanently tilted windows, however, do not allow air to be exchanged.
  • The optimal humidity is between 40 and 60 percent (the humidity can be monitored using a hygrometer).
  • The formation of moisture (condensation) on walls and windows must be avoided.
  • Recognizable mold nests should be removed, and stains should be observed behind furniture and paneling: Furniture should be placed at least five centimeters away from the wall. This is how the air can circulate. If necessary, professional renovation (drainage) must be carried out.
  • Fan: In the bathroom, installing a fan will help evacuate damp air. After showering and bathing, residual moisture should be wiped away and aired.
  • Color additives: When painting the walls, use color additives that prevent mold colonization.
  • Potted plants (especially hydroponics) should be reduced overall and at least completely removed from the bedroom. Earth should be covered with quartz sand. The door to the winter garden should remain closed.
  • Auquariums: An aquarium also increases the humidity and is therefore not recommended for people with a mold allergy.
  • Humidifiers and air conditioners can spread mold spores in large quantities and should therefore not be used. In any case, filters in air conditioning systems must be renewed regularly.
  • Do not dry laundry in the living rooms.
  • Gardening work such as leaf raking should be avoided or left to others.
  • Certain professional groups such as farmers, grocers, bakers should wear protective masks for some activities.
  • Special hygiene must be observed in the kitchen. Food must be stored carefully and in a dry place. For more information on storing food, see Storing Food. In the case of fruit - especially stored or fallen fruit - the mold infestation can be significantly reduced by thorough washing. Rotten areas should be cut out and leftover food should be disposed of quickly. Store organic waste outside the living area.
  • When eating food that has been infected with mold or is made from raw materials containing mold (e.g. mold cheese, beer), allergic reactions can also occur. Particularly highly allergic people should exercise caution here.

Note Allergies to mold spores must be differentiated from infectious diseases caused by fungus infestation (mycoses). When mold infections develop, they usually develop through the respiratory organs. From here the mold can attack other organs. A colonization of the body by molds occurs only very rarely, but is then life-threatening. Most at risk are people with a weakened immune system (for example after chemotherapy, transplant or HIV patients), old people with severe chronic illnesses or even babies and small children.

Mold toxins

Some mushrooms also produce toxins (mycotoxins, such as aflatoxin). The extent to which indoor mold toxins have a negative impact on health has not yet been sufficiently clarified. Nevertheless, if there is visible mold damage and simultaneous occurrence of fever, exhaustion, skin and mucous membrane irritation or headaches, you should consult your doctor and take precautionary measures to reduce exposure.