Table of contents:
Video: Freezer Temperature - Proper Storage
Storage in the freezer
The freezer is very suitable for long-term storage of supplies. Whether vegetables, bread, meat, fish or cheese - there is little loss of quality in the freezer; in addition, vitamins and taste are well preserved.
- Continue reading
- more on the subject
- Advice, downloads & tools
To be observed when storing in the freezer
- The temperature in the freezer should not be warmer than –18 degrees Celsius. To ensure this, the door should only be opened briefly.
- The temperature should also be checked regularly with a thermometer.
- If the cabinet is very icy, the device must be defrosted (constant cooling capacity, low power consumption).
- Frozen food should be put away as soon as possible after shopping - do not leave the freezer door open too long!
- So that you don't lose track of things, it is advisable to keep a list of frozen goods including the date of freezing. Self-frozen items are always dated.
Note Contrary to popular opinion, the vitamin losses are very low when you freeze fruit and vegetables.
As an alternative to a freezer, many households have a refrigerator compartment integrated into the refrigerator. In the case of refrigerated compartments, attention should be paid to the freezing capacity - indicated in stars. Compartments with one or two stars are not suitable for long-term storage of frozen products (* compartment min. –6 degrees Celsius, ** - compartment min. –12 degrees Celsius). Compartments with three and four stars reach minus degrees like freezers (min. –18 degrees Celsius) and can be used for long-term storage of frozen food.
Freezer compartment performance by stars
|Stars||temperature||application||recommended storage time|
|*||min. –6 degrees Celsius||short-term storage of frozen products||up to 1 week|
|**||min. –12 degrees Celsius||medium-term storage of frozen products||up to 3 weeks|
|***||min. –18 degrees Celsius||long-term storage of frozen products||several months (depending on the
|****||min. –18 degrees Celsius||Freezing of food and long-term storage of frozen products||several months (depending on the
Shelf life in the freezer
|Type of frozen food||Shelf life (in months)|
* Meat that has already been thawed can be stored in the refrigerator for another day. The more fat the meat, the shorter it should be frozen.
Source: Swiss Society for Nutrition: Purchasing, transporting and storing food.
Note Blanched fruit and vegetables can be frozen in portions after they have cooled down and help over the winter months with little variety.