Co-insurance Of Children

Table of contents:

Co-insurance Of Children
Co-insurance Of Children

Video: Co-insurance Of Children

Video: Co-insurance Of Children
Video: What is Coinsurance? 2023, March

Co-insurance of children

In principle, children and young people up to the age of 18 are insured in their parents' health insurance. You do not have to pay any additional health insurance contributions for your child (non-contributory co-insurance). It doesn't have to be your own children, the same applies to stepchildren, grandchildren, adopted and foster children.


  • Continue reading
  • more on the subject
  • Advice, downloads & tools
  • Which requirements must be met?
  • Who can be co-insured?
  • How can I co-insure my child?
  • Go to the pediatrician without an e-card?

Which requirements must be met?

Children are automatically insured with their mother and father up to the age of 18 - provided they have health insurance. The prerequisite is that the persons live in the same household as the child and that their habitual residence (ie the center of their lives) is in Austria.

Even after the age of 18, there is always the option of children remaining insured with their parents. However, certain requirements must be met for this (e.g. the child must be in training, may not earn more than the marginal earnings limit, etc.), and a separate application must be made for this. More on the subject: Online self-insurance guide

Who can be co-insured?

The non-contributory co-insurance applies to

  • your own children (regardless of whether they are married or illegitimate),
  • Elective children (upon presentation of the adoption certificate),
  • Stepchildren and grandchildren if they live permanently in a household with the insured person,
  • Foster children.

In addition, other relatives (e.g. spouse, partner, etc.) can also be insured with you under certain conditions. You can find more information from your social security agency.

How can I co-insure my child?

First of all, the birth of a child must be reported to the responsible registry office. This is usually done by the hospital in which you gave birth or, in the case of home births, by the doctor or midwife who was present at the birth.

The registry office then automatically reports the child's birth to the social security of both parents; parents don't have to worry about it themselves. The prerequisite is insurance with one of the following health insurance companies:

  • Regional health insurance funds (ÖGK, ÖGK, ÖGK, ÖGK, ÖGK, ÖGK, ÖGK, ÖGK, ÖGK)
  • SVS
  • Company health insurance fund (BKK-KA, BKK Mondi, BKK-VA, BKK-WVB, BKK-ZW)

The parents themselves have to forward the notification of the child's birth to all other health insurance companies.

Danger! If you do not want to insure your own child, but a stepchild, grandchild, adoptive or foster child with you, you have to apply for this to the social security yourself.

As soon as the notification arrives at the social security, the child receives its own social security number. The child's e-card is usually sent by post within a few days.

Note If the child is insured with two different health insurances through the co-insurance with mother and father, a decision can be made once per quarter when visiting the doctor, with which insurer the service will be used.

Go to the pediatrician without an e-card?

If you and your child have to see a doctor in the first few days of life before you have received the child's e-card, you can alternatively present the mother-child pass in most ordinations or the e-card upon receipt bring up. In some ordinations it is customary to pay a stake that you get back if you bring the e-card within an agreed time frame. Inquire about the procedure with the respective doctor.

Popular by topic