Poisoning: Mushrooms

Table of contents:

Poisoning: Mushrooms
Poisoning: Mushrooms

Video: Poisoning: Mushrooms

Отличия серверных жестких дисков от десктопных
Video: 7 Common Poisonous Mushrooms You Should Know 2023, January
Anonim

Poisoning: mushrooms

Mushroom poisoning occurs either as a result of confusing edible and poisonous mushrooms or from eating rotten mushrooms. Severe mushroom poisoning can, for example, lead to serious damage to the liver and kidneys or even be fatal. It is particularly tricky that in the case of severe poisoning, the symptoms sometimes only appear six to 24 hours after consumption.

If poisoning is suspected, the following applies in any case: Contact the poisoning information center +43 (0) 1 406 43 43 early to assess the risk.

navigation

  • Continue reading
  • more on the subject
  • What should be considered when dealing with mushrooms?
  • What symptoms can I experience with mushroom poisoning?
  • ">What to do after ingesting poisonous mushrooms
  • ">
">

What should be considered when dealing with mushrooms?

  • Do not consume mushrooms you have collected yourself if you are not very familiar with the matter or if the mushrooms have not been properly identified.
  • It is not advisable to research the fungus on the internet. You can get reliable advice on mushroom identification from the market office (MA59, mushroom advice) and in mushroom advice centers throughout Austria.
  • In general, no poisoning is to be expected with mushrooms from the trade; When in doubt, ask at markets, restaurants etc. whether the mushrooms have been checked.
  • Mushrooms spoil quickly, so they should be prepared and eaten as fresh as possible. Mushrooms that have been stored too long or incorrectly (e.g. insufficient cold chain) can lead to symptoms of poisoning.
  • Mushrooms should not be collected or stored in plastic bags as this will spoil them more quickly. An airy basket or a fabric carrier bag, for example, are more suitable.
  • Raw mushrooms are generally poisonous! They are also often poorly cooked or steamed insufficiently. Pay attention to the correct preparation.
  • Do not reheat mushroom dishes.
  • Mushrooms are generally rather difficult to digest (especially for small children!), So never consume large quantities.

More on the topic: Preventing mushroom poisoning

What symptoms can I experience with mushroom poisoning?

The symptoms that can appear after eating poisonous mushrooms are varied and depend on which mushroom it is. Gastrointestinal complaints (nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea) are common. Depending on the toxin, further symptoms such as hallucinations, dizziness, increased pulse, drop in blood pressure, sweating, feeling hot, seizures or loss of consciousness may occur.

Danger! If you experience sudden symptoms after a mushroom dish, you should always think of poisoning! Depending on the fungus, the symptoms can only become noticeable up to 24 hours after ingestion. If in doubt, always go to a hospital!

Amanita phalloides mushroom

90 percent of all severe mushroom poisoning is caused by the death cap mushroom. The following symptoms occur:

  • up to 24 hours after consumption (on average after six to twelve hours): repeated violent and severe vomiting diarrhea (cholera-like),
  • after 48 to 72 hours severe liver damage with kidney failure and hepatic coma. There is danger to life !

Note If a mushroom dish has been prepared from different mushrooms, the latency period is not reliable!

In the case of sudden vomiting diarrhea after mushroom dishes with a long latency period (6–24 hours), you should always think about a death knot poisoning.

What to do after ingesting poisonous mushrooms

If you suspect mushroom poisoning, do the following:

  • Contact the Poison Control Center immediately on +43 (0) 1 406 43 43 or dial 144 if the symptoms are severe.
  • On the phone, state as precisely as possible:

    • What was eaten
    • Where do the mushrooms come from (bought or collected?)
    • How much was eaten?
    • When were the mushrooms eaten?
    • What complaints does the person concerned have?
    • Who else has eaten from it?
  • If possible, save any leftover mushrooms and bring them to the hospital.
  • Rinse mouth with water
  • Never induce vomiting!

Note All people who have eaten the same mushrooms / the same dish should be examined as a precaution!

If unconscious:

  • Keep your airway clear. An unconscious person lying on their back is at risk of suffocation. A simple stable side position can prevent this.
  • If you have stopped breathing, perform a resuscitation immediately.
  • Dial emergency number 144!

More on the subject: first aid measures

Popular by topic